Also known as
 File extension(s)
 Format registry information
 Significant characteristics
 Preservation action plan
See Video preservation plan
 Preservation issues
- Quicktime is a wrapper format that wraps video, audio, and other bitstreams; as such it has numerous subtypes and variants. From Wikipedia: "The QuickTime (.mov) file format functions as a multimedia container file that contains one or more tracks, each of which stores a particular type of data: audio, video, effects, or text (e.g. for subtitles). Each track either contains a digitally-encoded media stream (using a specific codec) or a data reference to the media stream located in another file."
- Quicktime is openly documented but is a proprietary format owned by Apple Computer Inc.
- Florida Digital Archive has "high confidence" in its ability to preserve Quicktime movie files consisting of uncompressed, motion JPEGs but low confidence in preserving any other types of Quicktime files. See FDA Recommended Data File Formats.
 Conversion test results
 More information
- Library of Congress Sustainability of Digital File Formats: QuickTime File Format
- Action Plan for FCLA Supported Video/Audio Stream Formats, Florida Digital Archive